Posted: Wednesday April 27, 2016
Launch guests and authors mingle, chat, and partake of wine and cheese
Last evening Talonbooks held its big Spring 2016 poetry launch in downtown Vancouver. The Vancouver School of Music’s Pyatt Hall made for a classy venue – and it was a full house, with about 100 people in attendance!
Four new books of poetry were launched, as well as one scholarly collection of annotations on Gertrude Stein. Emcee and fellow poet Stephen Collis sparkled and gave sparkling introductions, and he took care to point out that, while the evening’s line-up comprised all male readers, Talon’s forthcoming Fall 2016 list includes a number of excellent women poets (stay tuned!).
In case you missed the event, have a look at a few photos below.
Carl Peters reads from Studies in Description: Reading Gertrude Stein’s Tender Buttons – first a short Stein poem, then his own annotation of it
Clint Burnham, unafraid to call out everyone who indulges in self-satisfied political correctness, reads his poem “No Poems On Stolen Land” from Pound @ Guantánamo
Jordan Abel, wearing his green-lit mask and creating his signature sound-based atmosphere, performs a piece from Injun and disintegrates the linguistic constructs of colonialism before our very ears
After a brief intermission – and more wine and cheese! – the audience members find their seats again in Pyatt Hall
The cover of Human Tissue is projected just before its author’s reading – how nice it was to see each book that way, big and beautiful!
Weyman Chan reads from Human Tissue, delighting the audience with his clever and insightful mash-ups of scientific terminology and philosophy
The grand finale of the evening was a reading by bill bissett, “the godfather – and fairy godmother – of Canadian poetry,” from his latest book, th book
And everyone went home with books. The sign of a good night! Thanks to our friends at the Paper Hound Bookshop for manning the busy book table, amidst cheese-eating and book signing!
Thanks also to everyone who came out last night for the launch! We couldn’t do this without you, and we hope you had a wonderful time.
If you’re in or near Calgary and you’re feeling envious, fret not! We have a launch for you too, tomorrow night!
Recent news Articles
- Talon poets in Contemporary Verse 2: Convergence
- From Oral to Written is launched!
- Tonight! Tomson Highway launches From Oral to Written
- Cross your heart and hope to read
- From Oral to Written has gone from written to published!
- Abel proves able: Jordan Abel wins the Griffin!
- Home again, home again after the convention circuit
- Donato Mancini will be writer in residence at the University of Windsor this fall
- 50 years of Talonbooks, and a new catalogue that includes every title in print!
- 50 years since Expo 67, and a book bundle to celebrate!
- Bev Sellars books shortlisted for First Nation Communities READ 2017–2018 award
- Mend the Living wins Wellcome Book Prize!
- Save the date! Our Spring 2017 Poetry Launch is on April 27 in Vancouver
- Jordan Abel’s Injun short-listed for the Griffin!
- New poetry in house, right on time for National Poetry Month!
- Thank you, poetry lovers of the eastern US!
- New books for spring! Poetry, fiction, and drama
- March 25–31: Anahita Jamali Rad, Danielle LaFrance, and Donato Mancini on tour in California
- Adeena Karasick archive donated to Simon Fraser University
- Once in Blockadia is short-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Mend the Living is short-listed for the Wellcome Book Prize!
- BC book publishers and members of parliament celebrate BC Book Day
- All-Star Talon poets on tour in the eastern U.S.
- Same Diff has arrived!
- Talon book design in the press
- Once in Blockadia long-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Bev Sellars speaks to UBC’s business students
- Join Daphne Marlatt and M.A.C. Farrant in Calgary this Thursday
- Sachiko Murakami is the new writer in residence at U of T
- “Winners and Losers” opens in Calgary tomorrow!
- Tomorrow! Stephen Collis on Gabriola Island
- Cecily Nicholson is the new writer in residence at SFU
- Danielle LaFrance and Anahita Jamali Rad are in Calgary for the Flywheel Reading Series
- Enter Time with Colin Browne and Charles Edenshaw
- This weekend: Carl Peters at the MLA Convention in Pennsylvania
- Happy holidays from Talonbooks! What a year 2016 has been…
- All Fall 2016 plays are now available!
- Watch the trailer for the new movie based on Maylis de Kerangal’s novel, Mend the Living
- Save the date! False Starts launches in Montreal on November 8
- Opening tomorrow! Empire of the Son at the Cultch, Vancouver
- Read Local BC 2016
- Fred Wah and Colin Browne at the Vancouver Writers’ Fest this past weekend
- Our Fall 2016 books are launched!
- Tomorrow: Talon’s big fall launch!
- Thanks for a great reading, Victoria!
- Join M.A.C. Farrant at Munro’s in Victoria to launch The Days
- Phinder Dulai in NYC, Montreal, and Saint Catherines in early/mid-October
- Prairie Harbour is a finalist for the Governor General’s Awards!
- All the Fall 2016 poetry is in the house!
- Talonbooks at the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association trade show
- Karen X. Tulchinsky is Richmond’s Writer in Residence this fall
- Photos from WORD Vancouver 2016
- bill bissett wins Pandora Award!
- This Sunday: WORD Vancouver!
- Bev Sellars in Vancouver this week
- U Girl has arrived!
- George F. Walker’s new website is launched
- Talonbooks is British Columbia’s Publisher of the Year!
- Price Paid is already a BC bestseller!
- U Girl on the radio
- This fall, hear readings from Once in Blockadia along the Cascadia coast
- Price Paid has arrived!
- Reviews of The Days are in!
- Another great review of U Girl
- The first review is in: Ubyssey loves U Girl
- Oana Avasilichioaei on the East Coast this September!
- The dog days of summer, and The Days of Fall
- On stage now! “Salt-Water Moon” at the Pacific Theatre in Vancouver
- Tomorrow! Carl Peters talks Gertrude Stein at People’s Co-op Books, Vancouver
- Tonight in New York City, the Poets House Poetry Publication Showcase opens New York City
- Starting today! Denman Island Readers and Writers Festival 2016
- Running on Fumes has arrived!
- Fall 2016 previews!
- Opening this Friday at the Vancouver Art Gallery: Colin Browne’s Emily Carr and Wolfgang Paalen exhibit
- Tomorrow night, the 2016 Woodcock and Ryga Awards will be presented
- On Monday, June 27 in Vancouver, the 2016 Jessie Awards will be presented
- A new home for Ralph Maud’s Charles Olson library
- Canadians and the Panama Papers: We’re not as innocent as we think we are
- Two new reviews of Mend the Living
- Tomorrow in Toronto! Lakeside Play Readings
- The Watershed has arrived!
- Talonbooks will be at Congress 2016 this weekend
- Talonbooks at BEA 2016
- Listen: Full audio recording of our recent Vancouver launch
- Book review: Canada, A New Tax Haven in the Vancouver Sun
- Take a ride on the ferry boat, and pick up a great book!
- Tomorrow: Authors for Indies Day across Canada!
- Photos from our big launch last night
- Two quadruple book launches this week!
- Annotating Gertrude Stein, a century later
- This week! Weyman Chan at the Edmonton Poetry Festival
- Now available: “the best script Morris Panych has ever written”
- Photos from the 2nd annual BC Book Day at the British Columbia Legislature
- Our final Spring 2016 poetry title is here – Human Tissue!
- Clint Burnham’s first Talon book!
- Hot off the press: Jason Patrick Rothery’s debut play!
- Alain Deneault warned us about Panama
- The North + South Book Tour – Garry Thomas Morse in the prairies
- Forever Yours, Marie-Lou is on stage in England
- This Saturday in Montreal, join us for the launch of Mend the Living
Thursday August 10, 2017 in Meta-Talon
Buy a Quebec Book Day! August 12
August 12 is Buy a Quebec Book Day – and have we got books for you! Browse our list of 12 august and recently published Quebec books – any of which we would, of course, recommend. Read the list, and then get out to your local bookstore this Saturday and show la belle province some literary love!
> Go to story...
Friday June 23, 2017 in Meta-Talon
Listen: Nancy Shaw reads her poems
The Gorge: Selected Writing by Nancy Shaw launched in April, 2017 at the Western Front in Vancouver. To launch Shaw’s book, published posthumously, editor Catriona Strang read from The Gorge, and then this video was played to a rapt audience. In the video, you’ll hear the voice of Nancy Shaw, reading poems from her book Cold Trip (2006; co-authored with Catriona Strang).
> Go to story...
Tuesday April 18, 2017 in Meta-Talon
“The result is not simple”: Two Poems from Inspecting Nostalgia
By R. Kolewe
Inspecting Nostalgia is a new collection of poetry by R. Kolewe. This, his second collection, brings together found text and fragments of various writers’ work with scraps from his own journals.
In this third week of National Poetry Month 2017, and in advance of Kolewe’s Toronto launch on May 8, please enjoy two poems from the collection on Meta-Talon.
> Go to story...
Thursday April 13, 2017 in Meta-Talon
An excerpt from “Reading Wordsworth in the Tar Sands” by Stephen Collis
By Stephen Collis
Stephen Collis’s latest collection of poetry is nominated for the 2017 George Ryga Award for Social Awareness in Literature. It rethinks the relationship between human beings and the natural world and searches for ways we can continue to resist. Today on Meta-Talon, we offer a section from “Reading Wordsworth in the Tar Sands,” the second long poem in Once in Blockadia.
> Go to story...
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Canada Council for the Arts; the Government of Canada through the Canada Book Fund (CBF); and the Province of British Columbia through the British Columbia Arts Council for our publishing activities.
If you have any questions or comments about this website, contact the webmaster.