Posted: Wednesday April 27, 2011
National Poetry Month has been quite thrilling for Talonbooks.
First, we were notified that three of our poetry books were nominated in the same category for a BC Book Prize, Ken Belford for Decompositions, George Bowering for My Darling Nellie Grey, and Stephen Collis for On the Material.
(Stephen, Gina, and Gary – All Aboard for Terrace!)
Then the Northern Leg 2011 Book Tour kicked off, with Gina McMurchy-Barber, Gary Kent, and Stephen Collis starting in Terrace and also visiting Prince Rupert, Prince George, Quesnel, Smithers, and Kitimat.
(George Bowering accepting his award for literary excellence. Photo credit: Emily Megan)
And on the verge of setting off for the Okanagan Leg 2011 Book Tour, it was announced that George Bowering was the winner of the Lieutenant Governor’s Award for Literary Excellence.
(Derek, George, and Julie, shooting the breeze in Salmon Arm)
Bowering went on to join Julie Flett and Derek Lundy, starting in Kamloops, and also visiting Salmon Arm, Kelowna, Vernon, Penticton, and Oliver.
(Stephen Collis at Books & Company in Prince George)
Then, we were delighted by the announcement that Stephen Collis had won the Dorothy Livesay Prize for Poetry for On the Material!
(Stephen Collis accepting his BC Book Prize. Photo credit: Emily Megan)
To round out the month, we reconvened at the Anza Club with Arsenal Pulp Press for our Triple Threat Book Launch. And the city was abuzz…for poetry! While hockey fans cheered on the Canucks in Game 7 of the first round downstairs, excited poemfans packed into the upstairs space to hear Proma Tagore, Cecily Nicholson, and Garry Thomas Morse read new poetry from their respective books, language is not the only thing that breaks, Triage, and Discovery Passages.
There will be more details to follow about our Vancouver launch, but this is an excellent time to thank the city and the province and the nation for its intense support of poetry!
Recent news Articles
- Rita Wong's Public Sentencing Statement
- Happy Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day!
- A poem from Wanda John-Kehewin's Seven Sacred Truths
- Celebrating National Indigenous Peoples Day
- Christine Stewart in conversation with Erina Harris for CWILA
- TISH poets read from their Talon books in North Van
- Redpatch: in house and on the stage!
- Colleen Wagner's moving play, The Living, arrives in-house
- beholden shortlisted for the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Save the date: Talonbooks Spring Launch!
- "more horse statues": a poem from Nikki Reimer's new book, My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan
- Our Great Happiness: M.A.C. Farrant's new book has arrived!
- A Bouquet of Delights: My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan has arrived!
- It's a Big Deal! arrives to mammoth fanfare
- A PEЯFACT way to start your day: poetry from Nicole Raziya Fong!
- Christian Guay Poliquin’s Governor General Award–winning The Weight of Snow Is Here!
- Newly published! Essential early work by the award-winning Carmen Aguirre.
- All Synapses Firing!
- Our first Spring book – Cottagers and Indians – has arrived!
- Roy Miki interviewed by Shelagh Rogers on CBC's The Next Chapter
- "Happy New Year": A Story from M.A.C. Farrant's forthcoming book, The Great Happiness
- Flow flowing out to a bookstore near you!
- A new addition to our library: He Speaks Volumes
- Fall Launch a Resounding Success!
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch is Tonight!
- Stephen Collis launches Almost Islands in Vancouver!
- beholden arrives on Talon's shores
- The Mystery Play in the Wild!
- Fall Drama Has Arrived: 1 Hour Photo and Thanks for Giving!
- The Heart Laid Bare gets a Bookmark on the CanLit Trail
- Cecily Nicholson's Wayside Sang Wins a GG!
- Statement on incident at Vancouver Writer's Festival
- Seven Sacred Truths has arrived!
- Mercedes Eng's Mercenary English has arrived in-house!
- Drew Hayden Taylor Unearths Sir John A's Legacy
- Deni Ellis Béchard's new novel has arrived!
- Finding Mr. Wong Launches in Vancouver Tomorrow!
- All signs point to Treaty 6 Deixis
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch in Vancouver
- Reprints Rolling In!
- The first of our Fall list: Almost Islands and Around Her
- M.A.C. Farrant – three stories at Geist
- The Eyelash and the Monochrome – now IRL and in full colour!
- Talonbooks authors win Jessie Awards
- Pride Month Reading!
- Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day!
- Find Finding Mr. Wong on a shelf near you!
- New Plays in Town: Talker’s Town and The Girl Who Swam Forever
- David McFadden (1940–2018)
- King Arthur’s Night and Peter Panties has arrived!
- Prison Industrial Complex Explodes wins the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Check it out: Checking In!
- Byrne’s Duets grace us during Poetry Month
- Gracie has arrived!
- Same Diff is a finalist for the Griffin!
- Four Talon titles nominated for ReLit Awards!
- Give another cheer for Indigiqueer!
- “This play is dangerously cool.”
- Dead by lightning? We have the cure!
- Montreal Gothic in the house
- [Updated] Job opportunity: Talonbooks needs a Production Editor
- Kuei, My Friend has arrived!
- [Updated] Give a cheer for Indigiqueer!
- Kirton and Eng short-listed for BC Book Prizes!
- Poetry readings across Canada this week
- Poetry on the mountain this Thursday
- Talon plays on stage now in Sudbury, Halifax, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Belleville, New York state, Ottawa, Richmond, and Pennsylvania state!
- Oana Avasilichioaei performs in Vancouver on January 24
- Morse’s ideas of North
- Holiday greetings!
- Daphne Marlatt’s collected earlier poems have come ashore
- Join us for the launch of Daphne Marlatt’s Collected Earlier Poems
- Here’s to fifty more years of Talonbooks!
- Marcus Youssef wins the Siminovitch Prize!
- New poetry in the house!
- Marcus Youssef wins City of Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award!
- A GG nomination for In Search of New Babylon!
- Marcus Youssef nominated for Siminovitch Prize!
- The Days is a finalist for the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize!
- Talonbooks needs a copy editor/proofreader! Perhaps it’s you?
- Fall fiction is in the house! New novels by Wajdi Mouawad and Philippe Arseneault
- Réjean Ducharme, a loss for Quebec and all of us
- Talon poets in Contemporary Verse 2: Convergence
- From Oral to Written is launched!
- Tonight! Tomson Highway launches From Oral to Written
- Cross your heart and hope to read
- From Oral to Written has gone from written to published!
- Abel proves able: Jordan Abel wins the Griffin!
- Home again, home again after the convention circuit
- Donato Mancini will be writer in residence at the University of Windsor this fall
- 50 years of Talonbooks, and a new catalogue that includes every title in print!
- 50 years since Expo 67, and a book bundle to celebrate!
- Bev Sellars books shortlisted for First Nation Communities READ 2017–2018 award
- Mend the Living wins Wellcome Book Prize!
- Save the date! Our Spring 2017 Poetry Launch is on April 27 in Vancouver
- Jordan Abel’s Injun short-listed for the Griffin!
- New poetry in house, right on time for National Poetry Month!
- Thank you, poetry lovers of the eastern US!
- New books for spring! Poetry, fiction, and drama
- March 25–31: Anahita Jamali Rad, Danielle LaFrance, and Donato Mancini on tour in California