news | Monday July 22, 2013
The Sunburst Award for Excellence in Canadian Literature of the Fantastic is an annual award celebrating the best in Canadian fantastic literature published during the previous calendar year. Each winner receives a cash prize of $1,000 and a hand-crafted medallion that incorporates the Sunburst logo.
On July 17, 2013, the Sunburst Awards Society (Toronto) announced its 2013 short lists.
The short-listed works in the adult category are:
- Finton Moon by Gerard Collins (Killick Press)
- Maleficium by Martine Desjardins; translated by Fred A. Reed and David Homel (Talonbooks)
- Over the Darkened Landscape by Derryl Murphy (Fairwood Press)
- The Blondes by Emily Schultz (Doubleday Canada)
- Westlake Soul by Rio Youers (ChiZine Publications)
The short-listed works in the young adult category are:
- Bright’s Light by Susan Juby (HarperCollins)
- Pirate Cinema by Cory Doctorow (Tor Teen)
- The Green Man by Michael Bedard (Tundra Books)
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman (Doubleday Canada)
- Rebel Heart by Moira Young (Doubleday Canada)
The awards will be presented in the fall of 2013.
The Sunburst Award takes its name from the debut novel of the late Phyllis Gotlieb, one of the first published authors of contemporary Canadian speculative fiction.
For additional information about the Sunburst Award, the nominees and jurors, as well as previous awards, eligibility and the selection process, visit the website at www.sunburstaward.org.