Posted: Wednesday April 27, 2016
Launch guests and authors mingle, chat, and partake of wine and cheese
Last evening Talonbooks held its big Spring 2016 poetry launch in downtown Vancouver. The Vancouver School of Music’s Pyatt Hall made for a classy venue – and it was a full house, with about 100 people in attendance!
Four new books of poetry were launched, as well as one scholarly collection of annotations on Gertrude Stein. Emcee and fellow poet Stephen Collis sparkled and gave sparkling introductions, and he took care to point out that, while the evening’s line-up comprised all male readers, Talon’s forthcoming Fall 2016 list includes a number of excellent women poets (stay tuned!).
In case you missed the event, have a look at a few photos below.
Carl Peters reads from Studies in Description: Reading Gertrude Stein’s Tender Buttons – first a short Stein poem, then his own annotation of it
Clint Burnham, unafraid to call out everyone who indulges in self-satisfied political correctness, reads his poem “No Poems On Stolen Land” from Pound @ Guantánamo
Jordan Abel, wearing his green-lit mask and creating his signature sound-based atmosphere, performs a piece from Injun and disintegrates the linguistic constructs of colonialism before our very ears
After a brief intermission – and more wine and cheese! – the audience members find their seats again in Pyatt Hall
The cover of Human Tissue is projected just before its author’s reading – how nice it was to see each book that way, big and beautiful!
Weyman Chan reads from Human Tissue, delighting the audience with his clever and insightful mash-ups of scientific terminology and philosophy
The grand finale of the evening was a reading by bill bissett, “the godfather – and fairy godmother – of Canadian poetry,” from his latest book, th book
And everyone went home with books. The sign of a good night! Thanks to our friends at the Paper Hound Bookshop for manning the busy book table, amidst cheese-eating and book signing!
Thanks also to everyone who came out last night for the launch! We couldn’t do this without you, and we hope you had a wonderful time.
If you’re in or near Calgary and you’re feeling envious, fret not! We have a launch for you too, tomorrow night!
Recent news Articles
- Drew Hayden Taylor Unearths Sir John A's Legacy
- Deni Ellis Béchard's new novel has arrived!
- Finding Mr. Wong Launches in Vancouver Tomorrow!
- All signs point to Treaty 6 Deixis
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch in Vancouver
- Reprints Rolling In!
- The first of our Fall list: Almost Islands and Around Her
- M.A.C. Farrant – three stories at Geist
- The Eyelash and the Monochrome – now IRL and in full colour!
- Talonbooks authors win Jessie Awards
- Pride Month Reading!
- Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day!
- Find Finding Mr. Wong on a shelf near you!
- New Plays in Town: Talker’s Town and The Girl Who Swam Forever
- David McFadden (1940–2018)
- King Arthur’s Night and Peter Panties has arrived!
- Prison Industrial Complex Explodes wins the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Check it out: Checking In!
- Byrne’s Duets grace us during Poetry Month
- Gracie has arrived!
- Same Diff is a finalist for the Griffin!
- Four Talon titles nominated for ReLit Awards!
- Give another cheer for Indigiqueer!
- “This play is dangerously cool.”
- Dead by lightning? We have the cure!
- Montreal Gothic in the house
- [Updated] Job opportunity: Talonbooks needs a Production Editor
- Kuei, My Friend has arrived!
- [Updated] Give a cheer for Indigiqueer!
- Kirton and Eng short-listed for BC Book Prizes!
- Poetry readings across Canada this week
- Poetry on the mountain this Thursday
- Talon plays on stage now in Sudbury, Halifax, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Belleville, New York state, Ottawa, Richmond, and Pennsylvania state!
- Oana Avasilichioaei performs in Vancouver on January 24
- Morse’s ideas of North
- Holiday greetings!
- Daphne Marlatt’s collected earlier poems have come ashore
- Join us for the launch of Daphne Marlatt’s Collected Earlier Poems
- Here’s to fifty more years of Talonbooks!
- Marcus Youssef wins the Siminovitch Prize!
- New poetry in the house!
- Marcus Youssef wins City of Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award!
- A GG nomination for In Search of New Babylon!
- Marcus Youssef nominated for Siminovitch Prize!
- The Days is a finalist for the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize!
- Talonbooks needs a copy editor/proofreader! Perhaps it’s you?
- Fall fiction is in the house! New novels by Wajdi Mouawad and Philippe Arseneault
- Réjean Ducharme, a loss for Quebec and all of us
- Talon poets in Contemporary Verse 2: Convergence
- From Oral to Written is launched!
- Tonight! Tomson Highway launches From Oral to Written
- Cross your heart and hope to read
- From Oral to Written has gone from written to published!
- Abel proves able: Jordan Abel wins the Griffin!
- Home again, home again after the convention circuit
- Donato Mancini will be writer in residence at the University of Windsor this fall
- 50 years of Talonbooks, and a new catalogue that includes every title in print!
- 50 years since Expo 67, and a book bundle to celebrate!
- Bev Sellars books shortlisted for First Nation Communities READ 2017–2018 award
- Mend the Living wins Wellcome Book Prize!
- Save the date! Our Spring 2017 Poetry Launch is on April 27 in Vancouver
- Jordan Abel’s Injun short-listed for the Griffin!
- New poetry in house, right on time for National Poetry Month!
- Thank you, poetry lovers of the eastern US!
- New books for spring! Poetry, fiction, and drama
- March 25–31: Anahita Jamali Rad, Danielle LaFrance, and Donato Mancini on tour in California
- Adeena Karasick archive donated to Simon Fraser University
- Once in Blockadia is short-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Mend the Living is short-listed for the Wellcome Book Prize!
- BC book publishers and members of parliament celebrate BC Book Day
- All-Star Talon poets on tour in the eastern U.S.
- Same Diff has arrived!
- Talon book design in the press
- Once in Blockadia long-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Bev Sellars speaks to UBC’s business students
- Join Daphne Marlatt and M.A.C. Farrant in Calgary this Thursday
- Sachiko Murakami is the new writer in residence at U of T
- “Winners and Losers” opens in Calgary tomorrow!
- Tomorrow! Stephen Collis on Gabriola Island
- Cecily Nicholson is the new writer in residence at SFU
- Danielle LaFrance and Anahita Jamali Rad are in Calgary for the Flywheel Reading Series
- Enter Time with Colin Browne and Charles Edenshaw
- This weekend: Carl Peters at the MLA Convention in Pennsylvania
- Happy holidays from Talonbooks! What a year 2016 has been…
- All Fall 2016 plays are now available!
- Watch the trailer for the new movie based on Maylis de Kerangal’s novel, Mend the Living
- Save the date! False Starts launches in Montreal on November 8
- Opening tomorrow! Empire of the Son at the Cultch, Vancouver
- Read Local BC 2016
- Fred Wah and Colin Browne at the Vancouver Writers’ Fest this past weekend
- Our Fall 2016 books are launched!
- Tomorrow: Talon’s big fall launch!
- Thanks for a great reading, Victoria!
- Join M.A.C. Farrant at Munro’s in Victoria to launch The Days
- Phinder Dulai in NYC, Montreal, and Saint Catherines in early/mid-October
- Prairie Harbour is a finalist for the Governor General’s Awards!
- All the Fall 2016 poetry is in the house!
- Talonbooks at the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association trade show
- Karen X. Tulchinsky is Richmond’s Writer in Residence this fall
- Photos from WORD Vancouver 2016