Posted: Wednesday April 27, 2016
Launch guests and authors mingle, chat, and partake of wine and cheese
Last evening Talonbooks held its big Spring 2016 poetry launch in downtown Vancouver. The Vancouver School of Music’s Pyatt Hall made for a classy venue – and it was a full house, with about 100 people in attendance!
Four new books of poetry were launched, as well as one scholarly collection of annotations on Gertrude Stein. Emcee and fellow poet Stephen Collis sparkled and gave sparkling introductions, and he took care to point out that, while the evening’s line-up comprised all male readers, Talon’s forthcoming Fall 2016 list includes a number of excellent women poets (stay tuned!).
In case you missed the event, have a look at a few photos below.
Carl Peters reads from Studies in Description: Reading Gertrude Stein’s Tender Buttons – first a short Stein poem, then his own annotation of it
Clint Burnham, unafraid to call out everyone who indulges in self-satisfied political correctness, reads his poem “No Poems On Stolen Land” from Pound @ Guantánamo
Jordan Abel, wearing his green-lit mask and creating his signature sound-based atmosphere, performs a piece from Injun and disintegrates the linguistic constructs of colonialism before our very ears
After a brief intermission – and more wine and cheese! – the audience members find their seats again in Pyatt Hall
The cover of Human Tissue is projected just before its author’s reading – how nice it was to see each book that way, big and beautiful!
Weyman Chan reads from Human Tissue, delighting the audience with his clever and insightful mash-ups of scientific terminology and philosophy
The grand finale of the evening was a reading by bill bissett, “the godfather – and fairy godmother – of Canadian poetry,” from his latest book, th book
And everyone went home with books. The sign of a good night! Thanks to our friends at the Paper Hound Bookshop for manning the busy book table, amidst cheese-eating and book signing!
Thanks also to everyone who came out last night for the launch! We couldn’t do this without you, and we hope you had a wonderful time.
If you’re in or near Calgary and you’re feeling envious, fret not! We have a launch for you too, tomorrow night!
Recent news Articles
- Kim Senklip Harvey on the enriching work of translating the n̓səl̓xcin̓ parts of Kamloopa
- Laiwan: WANDER: Toward a Lightness of Being, in Vancouver
- Our Spiritual Lives: A Christmas-y tale from M.A.C. Farrant
- Michel Tremblay's Desrosiers Diaspora series
- Rite of Passage journeys to Talon
- I Saw Three Ships: A Best BC Book of 2019!
- Kamloopa Is Here!
- I Saw Three Ships #1 in Paperback Fiction at McNally Robinson
- Congratulations to Stephen Collis, the 2019 recipient of the Latner Writers’ Trust Poetry Prize
- Governor General's Literary Award Nominees now 30% Off!
- Eight Track Is in the Building!
- People Live Here Lives Here Now!
- Governor General's Literary Award Nominations!
- Spot Pots at a Bookstore Near You!
- No White Picket Fence Arrives In-House
- Just Like We Like It
- Caught Red-Handed with Our Favourite Crime
- I Saw Three Ships Sets Sail
- Flow's Softcover Edition Has Arrived!
- Rita Wong's Public Sentencing Statement
- Happy Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day!
- A poem from Wanda John-Kehewin's Seven Sacred Truths
- Celebrating National Indigenous Peoples Day
- Christine Stewart in conversation with Erina Harris for CWILA
- TISH poets read from their Talon books in North Van
- Redpatch: in house and on the stage!
- Colleen Wagner's moving play, The Living, arrives in-house
- beholden shortlisted for the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Save the date: Talonbooks Spring Launch!
- "more horse statues": a poem from Nikki Reimer's new book, My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan
- Our Great Happiness: M.A.C. Farrant's new book has arrived!
- A Bouquet of Delights: My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan has arrived!
- It's a Big Deal! arrives to mammoth fanfare
- A PEЯFACT way to start your day: poetry from Nicole Raziya Fong!
- Christian Guay Poliquin’s Governor General Award–winning The Weight of Snow Is Here!
- Newly published! Essential early work by the award-winning Carmen Aguirre.
- All Synapses Firing!
- Our first Spring book – Cottagers and Indians – has arrived!
- Roy Miki interviewed by Shelagh Rogers on CBC's The Next Chapter
- "Happy New Year": A Story from M.A.C. Farrant's forthcoming book, The Great Happiness
- Flow flowing out to a bookstore near you!
- A new addition to our library: He Speaks Volumes
- Fall Launch a Resounding Success!
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch is Tonight!
- Stephen Collis launches Almost Islands in Vancouver!
- beholden arrives on Talon's shores
- The Mystery Play in the Wild!
- Fall Drama Has Arrived: 1 Hour Photo and Thanks for Giving!
- The Heart Laid Bare gets a Bookmark on the CanLit Trail
- Cecily Nicholson's Wayside Sang Wins a GG!
- Statement on incident at Vancouver Writer's Festival
- Seven Sacred Truths has arrived!
- Mercedes Eng's Mercenary English has arrived in-house!
- Drew Hayden Taylor Unearths Sir John A's Legacy
- Deni Ellis Béchard's new novel has arrived!
- Finding Mr. Wong Launches in Vancouver Tomorrow!
- All signs point to Treaty 6 Deixis
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch in Vancouver
- Reprints Rolling In!
- The first of our Fall list: Almost Islands and Around Her
- M.A.C. Farrant – three stories at Geist
- The Eyelash and the Monochrome – now IRL and in full colour!
- Talonbooks authors win Jessie Awards
- Pride Month Reading!
- Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day!
- Find Finding Mr. Wong on a shelf near you!
- New Plays in Town: Talker’s Town and The Girl Who Swam Forever
- David McFadden (1940–2018)
- King Arthur’s Night and Peter Panties has arrived!
- Prison Industrial Complex Explodes wins the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Check it out: Checking In!
- Byrne’s Duets grace us during Poetry Month
- Gracie has arrived!
- Same Diff is a finalist for the Griffin!
- Four Talon titles nominated for ReLit Awards!
- Give another cheer for Indigiqueer!
- “This play is dangerously cool.”
- Dead by lightning? We have the cure!
- Montreal Gothic in the house
- [Updated] Job opportunity: Talonbooks needs a Production Editor
- Kuei, My Friend has arrived!
- [Updated] Give a cheer for Indigiqueer!
- Kirton and Eng short-listed for BC Book Prizes!
- Poetry readings across Canada this week
- Poetry on the mountain this Thursday
- Talon plays on stage now in Sudbury, Halifax, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Belleville, New York state, Ottawa, Richmond, and Pennsylvania state!
- Oana Avasilichioaei performs in Vancouver on January 24
- Morse’s ideas of North
- Holiday greetings!
- Daphne Marlatt’s collected earlier poems have come ashore
- Join us for the launch of Daphne Marlatt’s Collected Earlier Poems
- Here’s to fifty more years of Talonbooks!
- Marcus Youssef wins the Siminovitch Prize!
- New poetry in the house!
- Marcus Youssef wins City of Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award!
- A GG nomination for In Search of New Babylon!
- Marcus Youssef nominated for Siminovitch Prize!
- The Days is a finalist for the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize!
- Talonbooks needs a copy editor/proofreader! Perhaps it’s you?
- Fall fiction is in the house! New novels by Wajdi Mouawad and Philippe Arseneault