Posted: Monday October 24, 2016
From the long-awaited Slick Reckoning by Ken Belford and the caustic and playful poetics and prose of Friendly Fire by Danielle LaFrance, to 1970s Vancouver in Meredith Quartermain’s novel, U Girl, Talon was honoured to launch seven all-star books this fall. We convened on Oct. 20 at the legendary Pyatt Hall at the Vancouver School of Music for an evening of snacks, beverages, books, and many laughs.
Some of the crowd mills about, drinking wine and selecting from seven different types of cheese
Host and Talon editor Shazia Hafiz Ramji introduces the lineup
About 120 people attended the launch (packed house!) – plus one canine guest
Host/Talon editor Shazia Hafiz Ramji with bartender/Talon art director Les Smith
Meredith Quartermain reads from U Girl, a coming-of-age novel set in Vancouver in 1972. Quartermain writes about Frances Nelson, a small-town girl who moves to the big city to attend UBC and who writes a novel in the process
M.A.C. Farrant reads from The Days: Forecasts, Warnings, Advice and loosens some belly laughs with her absurdist humour
Daphne Marlatt reads from Reading Sveva, wowing the audience with Caetani’s art and her own ekphrastic poems
Ken Belford reads from Slick Reckoning , written with his characteristic rigour and questioning of every single thing
Anahita Jamali Rad reads from for love and autonomy, receiving many nods of acknowledgement from the audience after reading about displacement and labour
Danielle LaFrance reads from Friendly Fire, with the cover artwork by Megan Hepburn projected behind her
Stephen Collis reads from Once in Blockadia, only to toss the book aside later and recite a poem from memory; “Canada’s most dangerous poet” speaks to the people!
Books flew off the merch table!
We thank everyone who came out for these wonderful books. These big launches are always such fun! We look forward to the next one, and we hope you do too.
Recent news Articles
- Our Spiritual Lives: A Christmas-y tale from M.A.C. Farrant
- Michel Tremblay's Desrosiers Diaspora series
- Rite of Passage journeys to Talon
- I Saw Three Ships: A Best BC Book of 2019!
- Kamloopa Is Here!
- I Saw Three Ships #1 in Paperback Fiction at McNally Robinson
- Congratulations to Stephen Collis, the 2019 recipient of the Latner Writers’ Trust Poetry Prize
- Governor General's Literary Award Nominees now 30% Off!
- Eight Track Is in the Building!
- People Live Here Lives Here Now!
- Governor General's Literary Award Nominations!
- Spot Pots at a Bookstore Near You!
- No White Picket Fence Arrives In-House
- Just Like We Like It
- Caught Red-Handed with Our Favourite Crime
- I Saw Three Ships Sets Sail
- Flow's Softcover Edition Has Arrived!
- Rita Wong's Public Sentencing Statement
- Happy Saint-Jean-Baptiste Day!
- A poem from Wanda John-Kehewin's Seven Sacred Truths
- Celebrating National Indigenous Peoples Day
- Christine Stewart in conversation with Erina Harris for CWILA
- TISH poets read from their Talon books in North Van
- Redpatch: in house and on the stage!
- Colleen Wagner's moving play, The Living, arrives in-house
- beholden shortlisted for the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Save the date: Talonbooks Spring Launch!
- "more horse statues": a poem from Nikki Reimer's new book, My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan
- Our Great Happiness: M.A.C. Farrant's new book has arrived!
- A Bouquet of Delights: My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan has arrived!
- It's a Big Deal! arrives to mammoth fanfare
- A PEЯFACT way to start your day: poetry from Nicole Raziya Fong!
- Christian Guay Poliquin’s Governor General Award–winning The Weight of Snow Is Here!
- Newly published! Essential early work by the award-winning Carmen Aguirre.
- All Synapses Firing!
- Our first Spring book – Cottagers and Indians – has arrived!
- Roy Miki interviewed by Shelagh Rogers on CBC's The Next Chapter
- "Happy New Year": A Story from M.A.C. Farrant's forthcoming book, The Great Happiness
- Flow flowing out to a bookstore near you!
- A new addition to our library: He Speaks Volumes
- Fall Launch a Resounding Success!
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch is Tonight!
- Stephen Collis launches Almost Islands in Vancouver!
- beholden arrives on Talon's shores
- The Mystery Play in the Wild!
- Fall Drama Has Arrived: 1 Hour Photo and Thanks for Giving!
- The Heart Laid Bare gets a Bookmark on the CanLit Trail
- Cecily Nicholson's Wayside Sang Wins a GG!
- Statement on incident at Vancouver Writer's Festival
- Seven Sacred Truths has arrived!
- Mercedes Eng's Mercenary English has arrived in-house!
- Drew Hayden Taylor Unearths Sir John A's Legacy
- Deni Ellis Béchard's new novel has arrived!
- Finding Mr. Wong Launches in Vancouver Tomorrow!
- All signs point to Treaty 6 Deixis
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch in Vancouver
- Reprints Rolling In!
- The first of our Fall list: Almost Islands and Around Her
- M.A.C. Farrant – three stories at Geist
- The Eyelash and the Monochrome – now IRL and in full colour!
- Talonbooks authors win Jessie Awards
- Pride Month Reading!
- Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day!
- Find Finding Mr. Wong on a shelf near you!
- New Plays in Town: Talker’s Town and The Girl Who Swam Forever
- David McFadden (1940–2018)
- King Arthur’s Night and Peter Panties has arrived!
- Prison Industrial Complex Explodes wins the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Check it out: Checking In!
- Byrne’s Duets grace us during Poetry Month
- Gracie has arrived!
- Same Diff is a finalist for the Griffin!
- Four Talon titles nominated for ReLit Awards!
- Give another cheer for Indigiqueer!
- “This play is dangerously cool.”
- Dead by lightning? We have the cure!
- Montreal Gothic in the house
- [Updated] Job opportunity: Talonbooks needs a Production Editor
- Kuei, My Friend has arrived!
- [Updated] Give a cheer for Indigiqueer!
- Kirton and Eng short-listed for BC Book Prizes!
- Poetry readings across Canada this week
- Poetry on the mountain this Thursday
- Talon plays on stage now in Sudbury, Halifax, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Belleville, New York state, Ottawa, Richmond, and Pennsylvania state!
- Oana Avasilichioaei performs in Vancouver on January 24
- Morse’s ideas of North
- Holiday greetings!
- Daphne Marlatt’s collected earlier poems have come ashore
- Join us for the launch of Daphne Marlatt’s Collected Earlier Poems
- Here’s to fifty more years of Talonbooks!
- Marcus Youssef wins the Siminovitch Prize!
- New poetry in the house!
- Marcus Youssef wins City of Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award!
- A GG nomination for In Search of New Babylon!
- Marcus Youssef nominated for Siminovitch Prize!
- The Days is a finalist for the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize!
- Talonbooks needs a copy editor/proofreader! Perhaps it’s you?
- Fall fiction is in the house! New novels by Wajdi Mouawad and Philippe Arseneault
- Réjean Ducharme, a loss for Quebec and all of us
- Talon poets in Contemporary Verse 2: Convergence