news | Thursday March 22, 2018
[UPDATE: Thank you to all applicants! As of the end of March, the position has now been filled.]
Do you have book production experience, communications skills, and a passion for avant-garde Canadian literature? If so, we need you! Talonbooks seeks a Production Editor for a full-time, one-year contract position between April 2018 and April 2019 to cover a maternity leave. Opportunities to work part-time or in a freelance capacity with Talon may extend beyond contracted dates.
As Production Editor, you’ll work closely with Talon’s editors and designer to design and typeset our Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 titles. You’ll be responsible for shepherding frontlist and backlist titles (reprints) through production to press. You’ll also work with our ebook publisher to produce and distribute ebooks. The position requires high attention to detail, strong verbal and written communication skills, and excellent time-management and administrative skills. It also requires the ability to complete self-directed, individual work as well as collaborate and contribute to the team effort.
- pre-press checks (quality assurance) of design files
- liaising with printing plants (sourcing and adjusting print job estimates, checking and signing off on printers’ proofs)
- seeing all reprints through the press
- typesetting and designing book interiors, covers and jackets, and publicity materials, to be determined on a project-by-project basis
- working with PDFs (preparing digital ARCs; optimizing texts for students with special accessibility needs; creating and distributing search-and-discovery/look-inside PDFs; etc.)
- alongside others, monitoring metadata and submitting data changes to distributors when necessary
- working closely with the art director, editors, and publisher on all aspects of the publishing process
- attending meetings as necessary, with Talon staff and/or authors
- co-managing Talon’s archive of production files
- 3+ years’ experience in print book production
- familiarity with EPUB and ebook production
- strong knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office
- working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Google Drive, and QuarkXPress
- knowledge of HTML, CSS, and EPUB an asset
- editorial ability (copy writing, copy editing, and proofreading) an asset
(It also helps if you’re a dog person; we have a few regular pups in the office! They’re friendly and very quiet.)
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Start date: April 2018
Interested candidates should submit a cover note and résumé/CV as soon as possible, care of Chloë Filson: email@example.com. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, and we thank all applicants for their interest. Owing to time constraints, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Download this job posting as a PDF.