Posted: Monday November 26, 2012
You’re invited to participate in the writing of GET ME OUT OF HERE. A project being produced by Sachiko Murakami. Information on how to be a part of her project is below.
I have been writing about airports. Or, rather, I have been reading about airports, and finding it difficult to write about them. I find it especially difficult to stay present enough while in an airport to notice anything to write about. Not even carrying around 50 Things To Spot at the Airport is enough to keep me present. This difficulty has given rise to a lot of questions about writing for me, mostly about poetic inspiration. Meanwhile, as you may know, I’ve become more and more interested in the practice of community-built poetry (see: Projectrebuild.ca, Powellstreethenko.ca).
So, here’s the experiment: I’m crowd-sourcing inspiration. I need your help to write these poems.
This project will consist of two parts:
1. To build the manuscript: I need 100 observations/impressions/field notes of things, events, people, feelings, or anything that arises to catch the mind in an airport – in one sentence. If you are going to be in an airport in the next three months, I want your observations! These observations need not be “poetic”. They need only be one line. I will then write a poem in response, using your line as an epigraph. This will form the basis of a poetry manuscript.
There are only a few rules of this game: that you actually – go – to an airport and make an observation (i.e. this will be a documentation of airports from November 23 2012 – February 28 2013, not of airports that you have experienced in the past); that you limit the observations you send to me to one per airport (up to two per trip! – at arrivals and departures); and that I must write a poem in response to every observation I receive (up to 100) – the idea being that I don’t get to pick and choose my sources of inspiration.
2. I will also use, with each person’s permission, the lines I receive in an online iteration of this project, akin to Project Rebuild.
Should you wish to participate, please send me your line in a Facebook message or in an email (firstname.lastname@example.org), along with the date and airport in which you wrote the line.
Unfortunately, I can’t pay you for your observations (this being poetry, and all). Should this project become a book, I will of course gift you a copy.
Participation is open to anyone. Please forward to anyone you might think would be interested.
Recent news Articles
- beholden shortlisted for the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Save the date: Talonbooks Spring Launch!
- "more horse statues": a poem from Nikki Reimer's new book, My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan
- Our Great Happiness: M.A.C. Farrant's new book has arrived!
- A Bouquet of Delights: My Heart Is a Rose Manhattan has arrived!
- It's a Big Deal! arrives to mammoth fanfare
- A PEЯFACT way to start your day: poetry from Nicole Raziya Fong!
- Christian Guay Poliquin’s Governor General Award–winning The Weight of Snow Is Here!
- Newly published! Essential early work by the award-winning Carmen Aguirre.
- All Synapses Firing!
- Our first Spring book – Cottagers and Indians – has arrived!
- Roy Miki interviewed by Shelagh Rogers on CBC's The Next Chapter
- "Happy New Year": A Story from M.A.C. Farrant's forthcoming book, The Great Happiness
- Flow flowing out to a bookstore near you!
- A new addition to our library: He Speaks Volumes
- Fall Launch a Resounding Success!
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch is Tonight!
- Stephen Collis launches Almost Islands in Vancouver!
- beholden arrives on Talon's shores
- The Mystery Play in the Wild!
- Fall Drama Has Arrived: 1 Hour Photo and Thanks for Giving!
- The Heart Laid Bare gets a Bookmark on the CanLit Trail
- Cecily Nicholson's Wayside Sang Wins a GG!
- Statement on incident at Vancouver Writer's Festival
- Seven Sacred Truths has arrived!
- Mercedes Eng's Mercenary English has arrived in-house!
- Drew Hayden Taylor Unearths Sir John A's Legacy
- Deni Ellis Béchard's new novel has arrived!
- Finding Mr. Wong Launches in Vancouver Tomorrow!
- All signs point to Treaty 6 Deixis
- Talonbooks Fall Poetry Launch in Vancouver
- Reprints Rolling In!
- The first of our Fall list: Almost Islands and Around Her
- M.A.C. Farrant – three stories at Geist
- The Eyelash and the Monochrome – now IRL and in full colour!
- Talonbooks authors win Jessie Awards
- Pride Month Reading!
- Happy National Indigenous Peoples Day!
- Find Finding Mr. Wong on a shelf near you!
- New Plays in Town: Talker’s Town and The Girl Who Swam Forever
- David McFadden (1940–2018)
- King Arthur’s Night and Peter Panties has arrived!
- Prison Industrial Complex Explodes wins the Dorothy Livesay Poetry Prize!
- Check it out: Checking In!
- Byrne’s Duets grace us during Poetry Month
- Gracie has arrived!
- Same Diff is a finalist for the Griffin!
- Four Talon titles nominated for ReLit Awards!
- Give another cheer for Indigiqueer!
- “This play is dangerously cool.”
- Dead by lightning? We have the cure!
- Montreal Gothic in the house
- [Updated] Job opportunity: Talonbooks needs a Production Editor
- Kuei, My Friend has arrived!
- [Updated] Give a cheer for Indigiqueer!
- Kirton and Eng short-listed for BC Book Prizes!
- Poetry readings across Canada this week
- Poetry on the mountain this Thursday
- Talon plays on stage now in Sudbury, Halifax, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Belleville, New York state, Ottawa, Richmond, and Pennsylvania state!
- Oana Avasilichioaei performs in Vancouver on January 24
- Morse’s ideas of North
- Holiday greetings!
- Daphne Marlatt’s collected earlier poems have come ashore
- Join us for the launch of Daphne Marlatt’s Collected Earlier Poems
- Here’s to fifty more years of Talonbooks!
- Marcus Youssef wins the Siminovitch Prize!
- New poetry in the house!
- Marcus Youssef wins City of Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award!
- A GG nomination for In Search of New Babylon!
- Marcus Youssef nominated for Siminovitch Prize!
- The Days is a finalist for the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize!
- Talonbooks needs a copy editor/proofreader! Perhaps it’s you?
- Fall fiction is in the house! New novels by Wajdi Mouawad and Philippe Arseneault
- Réjean Ducharme, a loss for Quebec and all of us
- Talon poets in Contemporary Verse 2: Convergence
- From Oral to Written is launched!
- Tonight! Tomson Highway launches From Oral to Written
- Cross your heart and hope to read
- From Oral to Written has gone from written to published!
- Abel proves able: Jordan Abel wins the Griffin!
- Home again, home again after the convention circuit
- Donato Mancini will be writer in residence at the University of Windsor this fall
- 50 years of Talonbooks, and a new catalogue that includes every title in print!
- 50 years since Expo 67, and a book bundle to celebrate!
- Bev Sellars books shortlisted for First Nation Communities READ 2017–2018 award
- Mend the Living wins Wellcome Book Prize!
- Save the date! Our Spring 2017 Poetry Launch is on April 27 in Vancouver
- Jordan Abel’s Injun short-listed for the Griffin!
- New poetry in house, right on time for National Poetry Month!
- Thank you, poetry lovers of the eastern US!
- New books for spring! Poetry, fiction, and drama
- March 25–31: Anahita Jamali Rad, Danielle LaFrance, and Donato Mancini on tour in California
- Adeena Karasick archive donated to Simon Fraser University
- Once in Blockadia is short-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Mend the Living is short-listed for the Wellcome Book Prize!
- BC book publishers and members of parliament celebrate BC Book Day
- All-Star Talon poets on tour in the eastern U.S.
- Same Diff has arrived!
- Talon book design in the press
- Once in Blockadia long-listed for the George Ryga Award!