Posted: Tuesday October 4, 2011
Six playwrights from across the country have been shortlisted for the coveted $100,000 Elinore and Lou Siminovitch Prize, which will be awarded in Toronto on November 7. We are delighted that two of the nominees, Joan MacLeod and Larry Tremblay, are also the authors of many Talon titles.
Robert Chafe, the St. John’s-based winner of the 2010 Governor General’s Award for drama (for Afterimage) and artistic associate and playwright for Newfoundland troupe Artistic Fraud.
Joan MacLeod of British Columbia, whose many awards include two Chalmers Canadian Play Awards, the Governor General’s Drama Award, and the Dora Mavor Moore Award.
Larry Tremblay of Quebec, who has had some 20 books published, and his work recognized throughout Canada and worldwide.
Jasmine Dubé, the writer, actress and director who co-founded and serves as artistic director of Montreal’s Théâtre Bouche Décousues.
Greg MacArthur, the playwright-in-residence at the University of Alberta.
Mansel Robinson, the Chapleau, Ontario-based playwright (formerly of Saskatoon) and past president of the Saskatchewan Playwrights Centre.
Each year, the winner is presented $75,000 and is asked to name a protégé to receive the remaining $25,000. In the past, playwrights honoured with the prize have included Daniel MacIvor and Carole Fréchette.
Recent news Articles
- Kevin Kerr’s You Are Very Star in Vancouver
- John Murrell’s new play, Peace in Our Time, Premieres at the Shaw Festival
- David W. McFadden Wins 2013 Griffin Poetry Prize!
- Mariner Janes on Co-op Radio out of Vancouver
- Meta-Talon: For the Pleasure of Seeing Her Again at the Magnetic North Theatre Festival, In Review
- Meta-Talon: Drew Hayden Taylor’s Political Persuasions
- Five Weeks Running on the B.C. Bestsellers List for They Called Me Number One!
- Meta-Talon: Quill & Quire Reviews Daphne Marlatt’s Liquidities
- B.E.A. and Congress 2013: Talonbooks Was Here
- Phyllis Webb in the Poet’s Corner of the Sunday Times
- Talonbooks at Congress 2013 in Victoria, B.C., with Authors Marie Clements, Lucia Frangione, and Bev Sellars
- Video: Talonbooks Spring 2013 Poetry Launch, Vancouver
- Video: Stephen Collis Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Daphne Marlatt Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Dina Del Bucchia Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Wanda John-Kehewin Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Mariner Janes Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- “The Universe of Michel Tremblay” at the Musée de la Civilisation in Quebec City
- 2013 Jessie Richardson Award Nominations for Talonbooks Playwrights
- Fall 2013 Catalogue Now Available Online!
- Baba Brinkman’s Evolutionary Tales Series in NYC
- They Called Me Number One on B.C. Bestsellers List!
- Two of Talon’s Translators Recently Celebrated in Montreal
- Stephen Collis on Co-op Radio
- Montreal Celebrates Fifty Years of English Theatre!
- Interurban Launch for the Monument Cycles!
- Michel Tremblay and Magnetic North!
- This Poem in May 2013!
- They Called Me Number One Is Now Available!
- Cliff Matias and Vassar Students in The Rez Sisters!
- Le Chant de Sainte Carmen de Michel Tremblay!
- Wanda John-Kehewin in Port Hardy!
- Stephen Collis and Margaret Christakos at A B Series!
- Haute Créature - NatPoMo Tours in Toronto and Montreal!
- Girl in the Goldfish Bowl Down Under!
- Drew Hayden Taylor on Urban Rush
- Can Hardly Wait For Vigil!
- A Trailer for My Turquoise Years
- Monuments, Dog House, Otters!
- Wanda John-Kehewin For World Poetry Canada
- Interview with Stars of My Turquoise Years
- David W. McFadden Up For 2013 Griffin Poetry Prize!
- Legoland: The Lambs Sing Eminem
- God and the Indian at the Firehall Arts Centre
- Coping with Emotions and Otters - A Book Trailer
- Talonbooks Launches Five New Poetry Titles for Spring!
- Seeds Announced For NAC's 2013-14 Season
- What's Wrong With Our Food System?
- Ricepaper Magazine Double Issue Launch at Historic Joy Kogawa House
- Catch the Wave at the Arts Club!
- Carmen Aguirre Dishes Up Chile Con Carne!
- The Edward Curtis Project in April!
- Centaur Theatre Plays in Colour!
- Mom's the Word at the Grand Theatre
- Lizzie Borden Took an Axe...
- Fred Wah and Friends at Words on the Water!
- Burning Vision at Walterdale Playhouse
- What Kind of University Do We Want?
- Hesiod at the Hellenic Community Centre
- Urban Change, Urban Unrest!
- Sainte-Carmen of the Main Comes to Winnipeg
- Indigenous Writing Program at Banff
- The Properties Up For BC Book Prize!
- Stephen Collis and Rachel Rose at Lunch Poems at SFU!
- okanagan hungree 4 bill bissett
- Wanda John-Kehewin and Friends on Tour!
- Meet the Cast of A.C.T.'s Dead Metaphor
- Palace of the End
- Ask the Panel
- Les Belles Soeurs in Baltimore!
- The Ends of the Earth at Vertigo Mystery Theatre!
- The Rez Sisters at Orillia Opera House!
- Gil McElroy Joins Versefest in Ottawa
- The Line Has Shattered
- Criminal Genius at Walking Fish Theatre!
- The Regina Monologue
- Mining, Justice and Censorship at the University of Victoria!
- Love in a Storage Locker
- In Search of Lost Childhood
- Freedom to Read Week and Carmen Aguirre!
- Rogue Beats at the Sidewalk Café
- Daphne Marlatt at Scrivener's Monthly in March!
- Carmen Aguirre Talks Chile Con Carne
- Baba Brinkman Wins Friend of Darwin Award!
- Atwood & Co. in Calgary
- Albertine in Five Times in Duncan!
- Okanagan Reads Loves George Bowering
- Drew Hayden Taylor Is Writer-In-Residence at Ryerson!
- Sound Po-ing with the Stars
- Colin Browne Reads at the CAG!
- Glace Bay Miner's Museum at Neptune Theatre
- Tracing the Lines to Launch in Vancouver!
- Where the Blood Mixes at the Roxy!
- Billy Bishop Goes to The Gladstone!
- Promo for Leave of Absence
- Participate at the National Indigenous Writers Conference at SFU!
- Carmen Aguirre Visits Octopus Books!
- Carmen Aguirre Serves Up Chile Con Carne in Toronto
- Wagner's Dream at VIFF Vancity Theatre
Thursday June 13, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Canada: Home to a Dangerous Industry
By Fred A. Reed
& Robin Philpot
Alain Deneault and William Sacher wrote Imperial Canada Inc.: Legal Haven of Choice for the World’s Mining Companies (2012) to provide Canadian and international public opinion with tools to help ask critical questions about Canadian activities in the South and in Eastern Europe, as well as about the role of the Canadian government in relation to these activities. It is hoped that the evidence presented here will encourage Canadians to enter public debate about how the mining industry is regulated in Canada and to form an opinion on this topic independent from the one suggested by official agencies or media that belong to large Canadian financial conglomerates and tend to espouse their interests.
> Go to story...
Monday June 10, 2013 in Meta-Talon
In Review: For the Pleasure of Seeing Her Again at the Magnetic North Theatre Festival, National Arts Centre, Ottawa
For the Pleasure of Seeing Her Again, a play by Michel Tremblay, is currently being staged at the National Arts Centre (N.A.C.) in Ottawa, Ontario, as part of the Magnetic North Theatre Festival.
The following are excerpts from two reviews of the show, originally published in the Ottawa Citizen on June 3 and June 8, 2013, written by Patrick Langston.
> Go to story...
Friday June 7, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Drew Hayden Taylor’s Political Persuasions
By Drew Hayden Taylor
Award-winning Ojibwa author and playwright Drew Hayden Taylor (Dead White Writer on the Floor, 2011) writes the occasional column for the Peterborough Examiner in Peterborough, Ontario. In his latest column, available in its original form here, he discusses his approach to storytelling and politics.
As a First Nations writer of fiction and non-fiction, and frequent lecturer on the university/college and conference circuit, I am commonly asked about my political persuasion. Do I swing left, right, or am I more ambidextrous?
> Go to story...
Wednesday June 5, 2013 in Meta-Talon
A Postmodernist Examines the Contours of a Western Canadian City: Quill & Quire Reviews Daphne Marlatt’s Liquidities
The June 2013 issue of Quill & Quire includes a review of Daphne Marlatt’s latest book of poetry, Liquidities (Talonbooks, 2013). We republish this review here with permission from Quill & Quire.
Liquidities: Vancouver Poems Then and Now extends a project Daphne Marlatt began over 40 years ago with the 1972 publication of Vancouver Poems …
> Go to story...
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Canada Council for the Arts; the Government of Canada through the Book Publishing Industry Development Program; and the Province of British Columbia through the British Columbia Arts Council for our publishing activities.
If you have any questions or comments about this website, contact the webmaster.