Posted: Tuesday May 8, 2012
This month, Governor General’s Poetry Award finalists Weyman Chan and Colin Browne will join local poetry impresario Daniel Zomparelli for a book launch at the Anza Club in Vancouver on May 15, followed by a launch at Audreys Books in Edmonton on May 23, and then a launch at Pages on Kensington in Calgary on May 24.
Beneath a cupola of sky as fragile as pigmented pottery, searching for a place beyond “perpetual worry”, in Chinese Blue, Weyman Chan draws on more than two thousand years of ancient Chinese tradition, including the spiritual teachings of Kong Zi or Lao Tzu, the military dicta of Sun Tzu, and the complex sensibilities expressed by poets such as Ssu-ma Hsiang-ju, Li Bai, Du Fu and Wang Wei in the wake of a tumultuous imperial government. Our poet restates these concerns of the past while addressing other “first world problems” in our own contemporary era.
With a manifesto that celebrates the stick as rudimentary element and a framework informed by the shell and palm frond chart as a guide for negotiating invisible “swells” of history, Colin Browne’s The Properties ranges from a twenty-first-century visitation by Herman Melville at a diner in New York City to an unknown history of the Lions Gate Bridge that begins in the Coast Salish village of Xwemelch’stn and ends with an assassination in Egypt, mingling in a music tugging at the undulating “lyre” of Lion’s Gate Bridge.
Ranging from the rhapsodic to the epigrammatic with his dangerously experimental narrative that snorts the alphabet, in Davie Street Translations, Daniel Zomparelli imbues the fast-paced drug and party culture of Davie Village’s young gay males with grand poignancy and pathos. With drag queens and porn fantasy figures in tow, the poet brashly faces up to fears of HIV and gay bashing on this poetic street that is a universe, where we turn away from violence, “dance fight, or turn it into a musical / West Side-like.”
By the way, ALL THREE titles are now available from Talonbooks!
Recent news Articles
- bill bissett 2014 Calendars Now Available!
- Interview: MAC Farrant on My Turquoise Years
- Interview: Mariner Janes on The Monument Cycles
- Video: Dina Del Bucchia at the North Vancouver Public Library
- Review: The Winds of Change on They Called Me Number One
- Imperial Canada Inc. and Internodes in The Goose (Issue 12/13)
- Minor Episodes / Major Ruckus Shortlisted for 2013 ReLit Award
- Gil McElroy Ties for 2013 bpNichol Chapbook Award
- Video: Jordan Abel Launches The Place of Scraps
- TONIGHT: Talonbooks Fall Launch in Toronto! Wigrum, Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour, and Singed Wings
- The Guardian on The Edward Curtis Project and Contemporary Native Art
- Kafka’s Hat Up for Blog’s Readers’ Choice Award for Translation
- Throughout November: The GTM Special!
- Judith’s Sister Shortlisted for Translation Award
- Malvern Books Reviews Coping with Emotions and Otters
- New Book Honours Sheila Fischman and Canadian Tradition of Translation
- Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour Has Arrived!
- Baba Brinkman Back in Vancouver with Rap Guide to Evolution
- Montreal English Theatre Awards Inaugurated
- Launched! Daniel Canty's Wigrum in Brooklyn, NY
- Video: James Bacque Addresses Senior Faculty, University of Toronto
- Vancouver Writers Fest Begins Today!
- Marie Clements Wins at imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival!
- Similkameen Crossroads: A New NFB Release
- The Victoria Writers Festival: Woodpeckers, Writers, and Words!
- Review: Rabble.ca on They Called Me Number One
- Video: Bev Sellars Speaking at the University of Victoria, BC
- A Collaborative Affair: Wigrum Launch in Montreal
- Launched! Jordan Abel’s The Place of Scraps
- New Meta-talon Post: 19 Questions with M.A.C. Farrant
- Review: Vancouver Anthology in BC Studies
- Bev Sellars on CBC Radio One, B.C. Almanac
- Celebrating Translators, the Too-Often Unsung Heroes of World Literature
- Number One is #1!
- Talon Authors Unite at WORD Vancouver
- Maclean's Magazine: In Conversation with Tomson Highway
- Talonbooks in Publishers Weekly’s Report on Canadian Publishing
- Ms. Massoumeh Ebtekar Appointed to Iranian Political Office
- Tens of Thousands Participate in Vancouver Reconciliation Walk
- Video: Bev Sellars Makes an Expression of Reconciliation
- Talonbooks Author Martine Desjardins Wins 2013 Sunburst Award
- UBC Classes to be Suspended on September 18 To Encourage Attendance at Truth and Reconciliation National Event
- Chief Bev Sellars featured in BC BookWorld
- The Place of Scraps is Finally Here!
- Tom à la ferme wins Best Film Prize at Venice Film Festival
- Daniel Canty To Launch Wigrum in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver!
- Talon Completes Renewal Plan (2007–2013)
- In Review: Film Adaptation of Tom at the Farm
- Sixteen Weeks Running on the B.C. Bestsellers List for They Called Me Number One!
- Internodes and Singed Wings Have Arrived!
- First Nation Communities Read 2013–2014
- Lineup Announcement! Vancouver Writers Fest 2013 (October)
- National Indigenous Writers Conference at SFU Vancouver, October 19 & 20
- MacLeod’s Latest Play Addresses Police Brutality Toward Mentally Ill
- 8th Fire’s Essential Reads List
- 500 Talon Ebooks Sold!
- Volume Two of Modern Canadian Plays (5th Edition) Has Arrived!
- Tom à la ferme at the 2013 Venice Film Festival!
- Book Trailer: The Place of Scraps by Jordan Abel
- A National Day of Prayer
- Canadian Geographic on They Called Me Number One
- Join us in Celebrating George Ryga Week!
- Short-listed for the Sunburst Awards: Maleficium by Martine Desjardins!
- Imperial Canada Inc.: “two major Canadian mining corporations have been trying to prevent Canadians from ever seeing this book”
- Meta-Talon: A Review of They Called Me Number One by Eric Wright
- VICE Magazine on the Outrageous Conduct of Canada’s Mining Industries
- Fred Wah Appointed to the Order of Canada
- Meta-Talon: A Profile of Jordan Abel
- Meta-Talon: The Wigrum Font
- ALA 2013: Talonbooks Was Here
- That’s a Wrap on the 2013 Whitehorse Poetry Festival
- John MacLachlan Gray to Give Keynote Speech at In Tune 2013
- Kevin Kerr’s You Are Very Star in Vancouver
- John Murrell’s new play, Peace in Our Time, Premieres at the Shaw Festival
- David W. McFadden Wins 2013 Griffin Poetry Prize!
- Mariner Janes on Co-op Radio out of Vancouver
- Meta-Talon: For the Pleasure of Seeing Her Again at the Magnetic North Theatre Festival, In Review
- Meta-Talon: Drew Hayden Taylor’s Political Persuasions
- Meta-Talon: Quill & Quire Reviews Daphne Marlatt’s Liquidities
- B.E.A. and Congress 2013: Talonbooks Was Here
- Phyllis Webb in the Poet’s Corner of the Sunday Times
- Talonbooks at Congress 2013 in Victoria, B.C., with Authors Marie Clements, Lucia Frangione, and Bev Sellars
- Video: Talonbooks Spring 2013 Poetry Launch, Vancouver
- Video: Stephen Collis Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Daphne Marlatt Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Dina Del Bucchia Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Wanda John-Kehewin Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Mariner Janes Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- “The Universe of Michel Tremblay” at the Musée de la Civilisation in Quebec City
- 2013 Jessie Richardson Award Nominations for Talonbooks Playwrights
- Fall 2013 Catalogue Now Available Online!
- Baba Brinkman’s Evolutionary Tales Series in NYC
- They Called Me Number One on B.C. Bestsellers List!
- Two of Talon’s Translators Recently Celebrated in Montreal
- Stephen Collis on Co-op Radio
- Montreal Celebrates Fifty Years of English Theatre!
- Interurban Launch for the Monument Cycles!
- Michel Tremblay and Magnetic North!
- This Poem in May 2013!
- They Called Me Number One Is Now Available!
Thursday December 5, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Talon’s Best Gift Books for 2013
The holiday season is upon us, and perhaps you are considering giving the gift of a good book! Here are the most lovely and readable and immediately compelling books we have produced recently to help you in your quest. Order soon to have them delivered in the next couple of weeks! (And did you know that ours come nicely packaged?)
> Go to story...
Tuesday December 3, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Urban vs. Rural in Canadian Literature
by Chloë Filson
In a recent Meta-Talon article, “Reflections on Regionalism,” Megan Jones referred to the “quietly profound writers that dwell in far-off corners and dense urban hotbeds of this vast country.” This description points to one of the most important – or at least one of the most critically discussed – tensions in Canadian literature: urban vs. rural.
> Go to story...
Thursday November 28, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Two Poems from Ken Belford’s Internodes
Today on Meta-Talon, we share two poems from Ken Belford’s latest book of poetry, Internodes.
> Go to story...
Tuesday November 26, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Selections from Minor Episodes / Major Ruckus
By Garry Thomas Morse
“With this magazine cover, I know it’s only a prototype, but with this cover, we decided to concentrate on the mole. This may look to you and me like an ordinary, and might I add rather famous, mole on a human face. Yet if we were to make that assumption, we would both be making a rather naive supposition.”
Candy blinked and stifled a yawn.
“Because,” roared F with wild eyes, nearly startling Candy out of her seat, “the mole is not a real mole at all!”
“Okay, Doc, I believe you. Just chill, okay.”
> Go to story...
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Canada Council for the Arts; the Government of Canada through the Book Publishing Industry Development Program; and the Province of British Columbia through the British Columbia Arts Council for our publishing activities.
If you have any questions or comments about this website, contact the webmaster.