Posted: Thursday March 22, 2018
[UPDATE: Thank you to all applicants! As of the end of March, the position has now been filled.]
Do you have book production experience, communications skills, and a passion for avant-garde Canadian literature? If so, we need you! Talonbooks seeks a Production Editor for a full-time, one-year contract position between April 2018 and April 2019 to cover a maternity leave. Opportunities to work part-time or in a freelance capacity with Talon may extend beyond contracted dates.
As Production Editor, you’ll work closely with Talon’s editors and designer to design and typeset our Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 titles. You’ll be responsible for shepherding frontlist and backlist titles (reprints) through production to press. You’ll also work with our ebook publisher to produce and distribute ebooks. The position requires high attention to detail, strong verbal and written communication skills, and excellent time-management and administrative skills. It also requires the ability to complete self-directed, individual work as well as collaborate and contribute to the team effort.
- pre-press checks (quality assurance) of design files
- liaising with printing plants (sourcing and adjusting print job estimates, checking and signing off on printers’ proofs)
- seeing all reprints through the press
- typesetting and designing book interiors, covers and jackets, and publicity materials, to be determined on a project-by-project basis
- working with PDFs (preparing digital ARCs; optimizing texts for students with special accessibility needs; creating and distributing search-and-discovery/look-inside PDFs; etc.)
- alongside others, monitoring metadata and submitting data changes to distributors when necessary
- working closely with the art director, editors, and publisher on all aspects of the publishing process
- attending meetings as necessary, with Talon staff and/or authors
- co-managing Talon’s archive of production files
- 3+ years’ experience in print book production
- familiarity with EPUB and ebook production
- strong knowledge of Adobe InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, and Microsoft Office
- working knowledge of Adobe Photoshop, Google Drive, and QuarkXPress
- knowledge of HTML, CSS, and EPUB an asset
- editorial ability (copy writing, copy editing, and proofreading) an asset
(It also helps if you’re a dog person; we have a few regular pups in the office! They’re friendly and very quiet.)
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Start date: April 2018
Interested candidates should submit a cover note and résumé/CV as soon as possible, care of Chloë Filson: firstname.lastname@example.org. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, and we thank all applicants for their interest. Owing to time constraints, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
Download this job posting as a PDF.
Recent news Articles
- Byrne’s Duets grace us during Poetry Month
- Gracie has arrived!
- Same Diff is a finalist for the Griffin!
- Four Talon titles nominated for ReLit Awards!
- Give another cheer for Indigiqueer!
- “This play is dangerously cool.”
- Dead by lightning? We have the cure!
- Montreal Gothic in the house
- [Updated] Job opportunity: Talonbooks needs a Production Editor
- Kuei, My Friend has arrived!
- [Updated] Give a cheer for Indigiqueer!
- Kirton and Eng short-listed for BC Book Prizes!
- Poetry readings across Canada this week
- Poetry on the mountain this Thursday
- Talon plays on stage now in Sudbury, Halifax, Vancouver, Winnipeg, Belleville, New York state, Ottawa, Richmond, and Pennsylvania state!
- Oana Avasilichioaei performs in Vancouver on January 24
- Morse’s ideas of North
- Holiday greetings!
- Daphne Marlatt’s collected earlier poems have come ashore
- Join us for the launch of Daphne Marlatt’s Collected Earlier Poems
- Here’s to fifty more years of Talonbooks!
- Marcus Youssef wins the Siminovitch Prize!
- New poetry in the house!
- Marcus Youssef wins City of Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award!
- A GG nomination for In Search of New Babylon!
- Marcus Youssef nominated for Siminovitch Prize!
- The Days is a finalist for the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize!
- Talonbooks needs a copy editor/proofreader! Perhaps it’s you?
- Fall fiction is in the house! New novels by Wajdi Mouawad and Philippe Arseneault
- Réjean Ducharme, a loss for Quebec and all of us
- Talon poets in Contemporary Verse 2: Convergence
- From Oral to Written is launched!
- Tonight! Tomson Highway launches From Oral to Written
- Cross your heart and hope to read
- From Oral to Written has gone from written to published!
- Abel proves able: Jordan Abel wins the Griffin!
- Home again, home again after the convention circuit
- Donato Mancini will be writer in residence at the University of Windsor this fall
- 50 years of Talonbooks, and a new catalogue that includes every title in print!
- 50 years since Expo 67, and a book bundle to celebrate!
- Bev Sellars books shortlisted for First Nation Communities READ 2017–2018 award
- Mend the Living wins Wellcome Book Prize!
- Save the date! Our Spring 2017 Poetry Launch is on April 27 in Vancouver
- Jordan Abel’s Injun short-listed for the Griffin!
- New poetry in house, right on time for National Poetry Month!
- Thank you, poetry lovers of the eastern US!
- New books for spring! Poetry, fiction, and drama
- March 25–31: Anahita Jamali Rad, Danielle LaFrance, and Donato Mancini on tour in California
- Adeena Karasick archive donated to Simon Fraser University
- Once in Blockadia is short-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Mend the Living is short-listed for the Wellcome Book Prize!
- BC book publishers and members of parliament celebrate BC Book Day
- All-Star Talon poets on tour in the eastern U.S.
- Same Diff has arrived!
- Talon book design in the press
- Once in Blockadia long-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Bev Sellars speaks to UBC’s business students
- Join Daphne Marlatt and M.A.C. Farrant in Calgary this Thursday
- Sachiko Murakami is the new writer in residence at U of T
- “Winners and Losers” opens in Calgary tomorrow!
- Tomorrow! Stephen Collis on Gabriola Island
- Cecily Nicholson is the new writer in residence at SFU
- Danielle LaFrance and Anahita Jamali Rad are in Calgary for the Flywheel Reading Series
- Enter Time with Colin Browne and Charles Edenshaw
- This weekend: Carl Peters at the MLA Convention in Pennsylvania
- Happy holidays from Talonbooks! What a year 2016 has been…
- All Fall 2016 plays are now available!
- Watch the trailer for the new movie based on Maylis de Kerangal’s novel, Mend the Living
- Save the date! False Starts launches in Montreal on November 8
- Opening tomorrow! Empire of the Son at the Cultch, Vancouver
- Read Local BC 2016
- Fred Wah and Colin Browne at the Vancouver Writers’ Fest this past weekend
- Our Fall 2016 books are launched!
- Tomorrow: Talon’s big fall launch!
- Thanks for a great reading, Victoria!
- Join M.A.C. Farrant at Munro’s in Victoria to launch The Days
- Phinder Dulai in NYC, Montreal, and Saint Catherines in early/mid-October
- Prairie Harbour is a finalist for the Governor General’s Awards!
- All the Fall 2016 poetry is in the house!
- Talonbooks at the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association trade show
- Karen X. Tulchinsky is Richmond’s Writer in Residence this fall
- Photos from WORD Vancouver 2016
- bill bissett wins Pandora Award!
- This Sunday: WORD Vancouver!
- Bev Sellars in Vancouver this week
- U Girl has arrived!
- George F. Walker’s new website is launched
- Talonbooks is British Columbia’s Publisher of the Year!
- Price Paid is already a BC bestseller!
- U Girl on the radio
- This fall, hear readings from Once in Blockadia along the Cascadia coast
- Price Paid has arrived!
- Reviews of The Days are in!
- Another great review of U Girl
- The first review is in: Ubyssey loves U Girl
- Oana Avasilichioaei on the East Coast this September!
- The dog days of summer, and The Days of Fall
- On stage now! “Salt-Water Moon” at the Pacific Theatre in Vancouver
- Tomorrow! Carl Peters talks Gertrude Stein at People’s Co-op Books, Vancouver
- Tonight in New York City, the Poets House Poetry Publication Showcase opens New York City
Thursday March 8, 2018 in Meta-Talon
Book Recs for International Women’s Day 2018
To celebrate International Women’s Day, we asked our staff to recommend favourite Talon books that they felt contributed to the advancement of women and to the feminist literary canon.
> Go to story...
Tuesday February 6, 2018 in Meta-Talon
“Argument is to me the air I breathe”
By Carl Peters
On Meta-Talon today, please enjoy the full text of the presentation given by Carl Peters at the Modern Languages Association convention in New York City on January 7, 2018. This talk responds to the question posed in the MLA convention session Rhetoric in Post-Factual Times: how to perform textual analysis in a time when facts are no longer the marker of good argumentation. (Peters’s talk is also related to his work on Stein; Peters is recently the author of Studies in Description: Reading Gertrude Stein’s Tender Buttons.)
> Go to story...
Thursday December 21, 2017 in Meta-Talon
Our Spiritual Lives
Our little end-of-year present to you is a miniature from M.A.C. Farrant’s delightful collection of very short stories, The World Afloat. Happy Holidays from Talonbooks!
Our Spiritual Lives
We’ve seen stains on tea towels that look like Jesus Christ’s face so we know he exists. And we know that dried seaweed can save the Douglas fir from extinction so we hang dried seaweed from the tree’s branches.
> Go to story...
Tuesday December 5, 2017 in Meta-Talon
A new cover for Drew Hayden Taylor’s play, In a World Created by a Drunken God
A finalist for the 2006 Governor General’s Literary Award for Drama, In a World Created by a Drunken God has been in steady demand since it was first published 11 years ago. From 2006 until the end of 2017, In a World Created by a Drunken God was in print with its original cover, which showed moving boxes and a flip phone. Now, Talonbooks has reprinted In a World Created by a Drunken God for the fourth time, and it wears a dynamic, new cover …
> Go to story...
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Canada Council for the Arts; the Government of Canada through the Canada Book Fund (CBF); and the Province of British Columbia through the British Columbia Arts Council for our publishing activities.
If you have any questions or comments about this website, contact the webmaster.