Posted: Wednesday June 7, 2017
Talonbooks publisher Kevin Williams and sales pro Spencer Williams were very pleased to attend a number of conventions over the last few weeks on behalf of the press. We so appreciate these opportunities to meet face-to-face and one-on-one with our readers, who include scholars, thespians, playwrights, poets, booksellers, librarians, and the reading public. Thank you to everyone who stopped by our booths and said hello!
First up were the Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences and the convention of the Canadian Association for Theatre Research, both held at the same time this year in Toronto, Ontario.
Above: the Talon booth at Congress 2017 (shared with our friends at Playwrights Canada Press)
Above: Tetsuro Shigematsu performs from Empire of the Son for the CATR crowd
Above: Jovanni Sy gives a raucous performance of his new play, A Taste of Empire
Next, the Williams men flew to the Big Apple for Book Expo America and Book Con, which together make up the largest book trade show and public convention in North America.
Above: outside the Javits Center, a long line-up forms on the first morning of Book Con
Above: the Talon booth at Book Expo America
Kevin and Vicki Williams, Talonbooks owners, will also be at the annual American Library Association (ALA) convention in Chicago, June 22 through 27. If you’re at ALA, please come visit us at booth #3223 and pick up advance copies of Fall books, including Anima by Wajdi Mouawad (translated by Linda Gaboriau) and Zora, A Cruel Tale by Philippe Arseneault (translated by Fred A. Reed and David Homel). Talon’s latest novel, In Search of New Babylon by Dominique Scali (translated by W. Donald Wilson), will also be available.
Recent news Articles
- Daphne Marlatt’s collected earlier poems have come ashore
- Join us for the launch of Daphne Marlatt’s Collected Earlier Poems
- Here’s to fifty more years of Talonbooks!
- Marcus Youssef wins the Siminovitch Prize!
- New poetry in the house!
- Marcus Youssef wins City of Vancouver Mayor’s Arts Award!
- A GG nomination for In Search of New Babylon!
- Marcus Youssef nominated for Siminovitch Prize!
- The Days is a finalist for the City of Victoria Butler Book Prize!
- Talonbooks needs a copy editor/proofreader! Perhaps it’s you?
- Fall fiction is in the house! New novels by Wajdi Mouawad and Philippe Arseneault
- Réjean Ducharme, a loss for Quebec and all of us
- Talon poets in Contemporary Verse 2: Convergence
- From Oral to Written is launched!
- Tonight! Tomson Highway launches From Oral to Written
- Cross your heart and hope to read
- From Oral to Written has gone from written to published!
- Abel proves able: Jordan Abel wins the Griffin!
- Home again, home again after the convention circuit
- Donato Mancini will be writer in residence at the University of Windsor this fall
- 50 years of Talonbooks, and a new catalogue that includes every title in print!
- 50 years since Expo 67, and a book bundle to celebrate!
- Bev Sellars books shortlisted for First Nation Communities READ 2017–2018 award
- Mend the Living wins Wellcome Book Prize!
- Save the date! Our Spring 2017 Poetry Launch is on April 27 in Vancouver
- Jordan Abel’s Injun short-listed for the Griffin!
- New poetry in house, right on time for National Poetry Month!
- Thank you, poetry lovers of the eastern US!
- New books for spring! Poetry, fiction, and drama
- March 25–31: Anahita Jamali Rad, Danielle LaFrance, and Donato Mancini on tour in California
- Adeena Karasick archive donated to Simon Fraser University
- Once in Blockadia is short-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Mend the Living is short-listed for the Wellcome Book Prize!
- BC book publishers and members of parliament celebrate BC Book Day
- All-Star Talon poets on tour in the eastern U.S.
- Same Diff has arrived!
- Talon book design in the press
- Once in Blockadia long-listed for the George Ryga Award!
- Bev Sellars speaks to UBC’s business students
- Join Daphne Marlatt and M.A.C. Farrant in Calgary this Thursday
- Sachiko Murakami is the new writer in residence at U of T
- “Winners and Losers” opens in Calgary tomorrow!
- Tomorrow! Stephen Collis on Gabriola Island
- Cecily Nicholson is the new writer in residence at SFU
- Danielle LaFrance and Anahita Jamali Rad are in Calgary for the Flywheel Reading Series
- Enter Time with Colin Browne and Charles Edenshaw
- This weekend: Carl Peters at the MLA Convention in Pennsylvania
- Happy holidays from Talonbooks! What a year 2016 has been…
- All Fall 2016 plays are now available!
- Watch the trailer for the new movie based on Maylis de Kerangal’s novel, Mend the Living
- Save the date! False Starts launches in Montreal on November 8
- Opening tomorrow! Empire of the Son at the Cultch, Vancouver
- Read Local BC 2016
- Fred Wah and Colin Browne at the Vancouver Writers’ Fest this past weekend
- Our Fall 2016 books are launched!
- Tomorrow: Talon’s big fall launch!
- Thanks for a great reading, Victoria!
- Join M.A.C. Farrant at Munro’s in Victoria to launch The Days
- Phinder Dulai in NYC, Montreal, and Saint Catherines in early/mid-October
- Prairie Harbour is a finalist for the Governor General’s Awards!
- All the Fall 2016 poetry is in the house!
- Talonbooks at the Pacific Northwest Booksellers Association trade show
- Karen X. Tulchinsky is Richmond’s Writer in Residence this fall
- Photos from WORD Vancouver 2016
- bill bissett wins Pandora Award!
- This Sunday: WORD Vancouver!
- Bev Sellars in Vancouver this week
- U Girl has arrived!
- George F. Walker’s new website is launched
- Talonbooks is British Columbia’s Publisher of the Year!
- Price Paid is already a BC bestseller!
- U Girl on the radio
- This fall, hear readings from Once in Blockadia along the Cascadia coast
- Price Paid has arrived!
- Reviews of The Days are in!
- Another great review of U Girl
- The first review is in: Ubyssey loves U Girl
- Oana Avasilichioaei on the East Coast this September!
- The dog days of summer, and The Days of Fall
- On stage now! “Salt-Water Moon” at the Pacific Theatre in Vancouver
- Tomorrow! Carl Peters talks Gertrude Stein at People’s Co-op Books, Vancouver
- Tonight in New York City, the Poets House Poetry Publication Showcase opens New York City
- Starting today! Denman Island Readers and Writers Festival 2016
- Running on Fumes has arrived!
- Fall 2016 previews!
- Opening this Friday at the Vancouver Art Gallery: Colin Browne’s Emily Carr and Wolfgang Paalen exhibit
- Tomorrow night, the 2016 Woodcock and Ryga Awards will be presented
- On Monday, June 27 in Vancouver, the 2016 Jessie Awards will be presented
- A new home for Ralph Maud’s Charles Olson library
- Canadians and the Panama Papers: We’re not as innocent as we think we are
- Two new reviews of Mend the Living
- Tomorrow in Toronto! Lakeside Play Readings
- The Watershed has arrived!
- Talonbooks will be at Congress 2016 this weekend
- Talonbooks at BEA 2016
- Listen: Full audio recording of our recent Vancouver launch
- Book review: Canada, A New Tax Haven in the Vancouver Sun
- Take a ride on the ferry boat, and pick up a great book!
- Tomorrow: Authors for Indies Day across Canada!
- Photos from our big launch last night
Tuesday December 5, 2017 in Meta-Talon
A new cover for Drew Hayden Taylor’s play, In a World Created by a Drunken God
From 1988 until the end of 2016, Salt-Water Moon was in print with its original yellow cover, which featured now-outdated type design and a production still from one of the original productions of this sweet play. Now, as the play experiences something of a revival, and as the book goes into its eighth printing, we are pleased to show off the newly redesigned cover of Salt-Water Moon.
> Go to story...
Tuesday September 26, 2017 in Meta-Talon
Read an excerpt: From Oral to Written
By Tomson Highway
From Oral to Written is a study of Native literature published in Canada between 1980 and 2010, a catalogue of amazing books that sparked the embers of a dormant voice. Leading Aboriginal author Tomson Highway surveys the first wave of Native writers published in Canada, highlighting the most gifted authors and the best stories they have told, offering non-Native readers access to reconciliation and understanding, and at the same time engendering among Native readers pride in a stellar body of work. On Meta-Talon, read a selection from Highway’s prologue.
> Go to story...
Thursday August 10, 2017 in Meta-Talon
Buy a Quebec Book Day! August 12
August 12 is Buy a Quebec Book Day – and have we got books for you! Browse our list of 12 august and recently published Quebec books – any of which we would, of course, recommend. Read the list, and then get out to your local bookstore this Saturday and show la belle province some literary love!
> Go to story...
Friday June 23, 2017 in Meta-Talon
Listen: Nancy Shaw reads her poems
The Gorge: Selected Writing by Nancy Shaw launched in April, 2017 at the Western Front in Vancouver. To launch Shaw’s book, published posthumously, editor Catriona Strang read from The Gorge, and then this video was played to a rapt audience. In the video, you’ll hear the voice of Nancy Shaw, reading poems from her book Cold Trip (2006; co-authored with Catriona Strang).
> Go to story...
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Canada Council for the Arts; the Government of Canada through the Canada Book Fund (CBF); and the Province of British Columbia through the British Columbia Arts Council for our publishing activities.
If you have any questions or comments about this website, contact the webmaster.