Posted: Friday May 11, 2012
On June 28, the 2012 George Woodcock Lifetime Achievement Award will be presented to Daphne Marlatt at the Vancouver Public Library in an event that starts at 6:30 pm.
Born as Daphne Buckle, Marlatt spent six years in Malaysia after World War II before she immigrated to North Vancouver in 1951. Much of her postmodernist writing would be attuned to the adjustments, struggles and accomplishments of immigrants. While Marlatt attended UBC (1960-1964), her literary associations with the loosely-affiliated TISH group encouraged her non-conformist approach to language and etymological explorations.
She was the founding editor of two literary magazines: periodics and Tessera. She co-edited West Coast Review, Island, The Capilano Review, and TISH. In 2004 she was appointed as the first writer-in-residence at Simon Fraser University in three decades. She currently co-directs the annual Banff Writing Studio.
In 2006, Daphne Marlatt was appointed to the Order of Canada. She now lives with her partner, Bridget MacKenzie, in Vancouver. Collaboration has been a significant element of her career, beginning with her 1970s oral history research in the Japanese-Canadian community of Steveston and then in the multi-ethnic neighbourhood of Strathcona. Opening Doors in Vancouver’s East End: Strathcona was the first book to be republished under Vancouver’s 125 Legacy Books Collection program in 2011.
Daphne Marlatt’s recent ventures into theatre have extended this element. In 2008, The Gull, her contemporary Canadian Noh play, was awarded the international Uchimura Naoya Prize. In 2009, she won the Dorothy Livesay Prize for The Given. In 2011, Marlatt completed the libretto for a chamber opera, Shadow Catch.
We are also pleased to announce that Daphne Marlatt’s Liquidities: Vancouver Poems Then and Now will be appearing from Talonbooks in 2013.
Recent news Articles
- Tomson Highway on The Next Chapter (CBC Radio)
- bill bissett 2014 Calendars Now Available!
- Interview: MAC Farrant on My Turquoise Years
- Interview: Mariner Janes on The Monument Cycles
- Video: Dina Del Bucchia at the North Vancouver Public Library
- Review: The Winds of Change on They Called Me Number One
- Imperial Canada Inc. and Internodes in The Goose (Issue 12/13)
- Minor Episodes / Major Ruckus Shortlisted for 2013 ReLit Award
- Gil McElroy Ties for 2013 bpNichol Chapbook Award
- Video: Jordan Abel Launches The Place of Scraps
- TONIGHT: Talonbooks Fall Launch in Toronto! Wigrum, Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour, and Singed Wings
- The Guardian on The Edward Curtis Project and Contemporary Native Art
- Kafka’s Hat Up for Blog’s Readers’ Choice Award for Translation
- Throughout November: The GTM Special!
- Judith’s Sister Shortlisted for Translation Award
- Malvern Books Reviews Coping with Emotions and Otters
- New Book Honours Sheila Fischman and Canadian Tradition of Translation
- Rogue Cells / Carbon Harbour Has Arrived!
- Baba Brinkman Back in Vancouver with Rap Guide to Evolution
- Montreal English Theatre Awards Inaugurated
- Launched! Daniel Canty's Wigrum in Brooklyn, NY
- Video: James Bacque Addresses Senior Faculty, University of Toronto
- Vancouver Writers Fest Begins Today!
- Marie Clements Wins at imagineNATIVE Film + Media Arts Festival!
- Similkameen Crossroads: A New NFB Release
- The Victoria Writers Festival: Woodpeckers, Writers, and Words!
- Review: Rabble.ca on They Called Me Number One
- Video: Bev Sellars Speaking at the University of Victoria, BC
- A Collaborative Affair: Wigrum Launch in Montreal
- Launched! Jordan Abel’s The Place of Scraps
- New Meta-talon Post: 19 Questions with M.A.C. Farrant
- Review: Vancouver Anthology in BC Studies
- Bev Sellars on CBC Radio One, B.C. Almanac
- Celebrating Translators, the Too-Often Unsung Heroes of World Literature
- Number One is #1!
- Talon Authors Unite at WORD Vancouver
- Maclean's Magazine: In Conversation with Tomson Highway
- Talonbooks in Publishers Weekly’s Report on Canadian Publishing
- Ms. Massoumeh Ebtekar Appointed to Iranian Political Office
- Tens of Thousands Participate in Vancouver Reconciliation Walk
- Video: Bev Sellars Makes an Expression of Reconciliation
- Talonbooks Author Martine Desjardins Wins 2013 Sunburst Award
- UBC Classes to be Suspended on September 18 To Encourage Attendance at Truth and Reconciliation National Event
- Chief Bev Sellars featured in BC BookWorld
- The Place of Scraps is Finally Here!
- Tom à la ferme wins Best Film Prize at Venice Film Festival
- Daniel Canty To Launch Wigrum in Montreal, Toronto, and Vancouver!
- Talon Completes Renewal Plan (2007–2013)
- In Review: Film Adaptation of Tom at the Farm
- Sixteen Weeks Running on the B.C. Bestsellers List for They Called Me Number One!
- Internodes and Singed Wings Have Arrived!
- First Nation Communities Read 2013–2014
- Lineup Announcement! Vancouver Writers Fest 2013 (October)
- National Indigenous Writers Conference at SFU Vancouver, October 19 & 20
- MacLeod’s Latest Play Addresses Police Brutality Toward Mentally Ill
- 8th Fire’s Essential Reads List
- 500 Talon Ebooks Sold!
- Volume Two of Modern Canadian Plays (5th Edition) Has Arrived!
- Tom à la ferme at the 2013 Venice Film Festival!
- Book Trailer: The Place of Scraps by Jordan Abel
- A National Day of Prayer
- Canadian Geographic on They Called Me Number One
- Join us in Celebrating George Ryga Week!
- Short-listed for the Sunburst Awards: Maleficium by Martine Desjardins!
- Imperial Canada Inc.: “two major Canadian mining corporations have been trying to prevent Canadians from ever seeing this book”
- Meta-Talon: A Review of They Called Me Number One by Eric Wright
- VICE Magazine on the Outrageous Conduct of Canada’s Mining Industries
- Fred Wah Appointed to the Order of Canada
- Meta-Talon: A Profile of Jordan Abel
- Meta-Talon: The Wigrum Font
- ALA 2013: Talonbooks Was Here
- That’s a Wrap on the 2013 Whitehorse Poetry Festival
- John MacLachlan Gray to Give Keynote Speech at In Tune 2013
- Kevin Kerr’s You Are Very Star in Vancouver
- John Murrell’s new play, Peace in Our Time, Premieres at the Shaw Festival
- David W. McFadden Wins 2013 Griffin Poetry Prize!
- Mariner Janes on Co-op Radio out of Vancouver
- Meta-Talon: For the Pleasure of Seeing Her Again at the Magnetic North Theatre Festival, In Review
- Meta-Talon: Drew Hayden Taylor’s Political Persuasions
- Meta-Talon: Quill & Quire Reviews Daphne Marlatt’s Liquidities
- B.E.A. and Congress 2013: Talonbooks Was Here
- Phyllis Webb in the Poet’s Corner of the Sunday Times
- Talonbooks at Congress 2013 in Victoria, B.C., with Authors Marie Clements, Lucia Frangione, and Bev Sellars
- Video: Talonbooks Spring 2013 Poetry Launch, Vancouver
- Video: Stephen Collis Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Daphne Marlatt Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Dina Del Bucchia Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Wanda John-Kehewin Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- Video: Mariner Janes Reads at the Talonbooks Spring Poetry Launch in Vancouver, 2013
- “The Universe of Michel Tremblay” at the Musée de la Civilisation in Quebec City
- 2013 Jessie Richardson Award Nominations for Talonbooks Playwrights
- Fall 2013 Catalogue Now Available Online!
- Baba Brinkman’s Evolutionary Tales Series in NYC
- They Called Me Number One on B.C. Bestsellers List!
- Two of Talon’s Translators Recently Celebrated in Montreal
- Stephen Collis on Co-op Radio
- Montreal Celebrates Fifty Years of English Theatre!
- Interurban Launch for the Monument Cycles!
- Michel Tremblay and Magnetic North!
- This Poem in May 2013!
Thursday December 12, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Interview: Adeena Karasick on This Poem (NIX Magazine)
Adeena Karasick was recently interviewed by Megan Yetman of Ontario College of Art and Design University. The excerpts from this interview that appear on Meta-Talon today – in which Karasick discusses This Poem and propounds ideas about pop culture, Derrida, print vs. new media, and the future of publishing – are published with permission from NIX Magazine, the first issue of which will be available in January.
> Go to story...
Thursday December 5, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Talon’s Best Gift Books for 2013
The holiday season is upon us, and perhaps you are considering giving the gift of a good book! Here are the most lovely and readable and immediately compelling books we have produced recently to help you in your quest. Order soon to have them delivered in the next couple of weeks! (And did you know that ours come nicely packaged?)
> Go to story...
Tuesday December 3, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Urban vs. Rural in Canadian Literature
by Chloë Filson
In a recent Meta-Talon article, “Reflections on Regionalism,” Megan Jones referred to the “quietly profound writers that dwell in far-off corners and dense urban hotbeds of this vast country.” This description points to one of the most important – or at least one of the most critically discussed – tensions in Canadian literature: urban vs. rural.
> Go to story...
Thursday November 28, 2013 in Meta-Talon
Two Poems from Ken Belford’s Internodes
Today on Meta-Talon, we share two poems from Ken Belford’s latest book of poetry, Internodes.
> Go to story...
We gratefully acknowledge the financial support of the Canada Council for the Arts; the Government of Canada through the Book Publishing Industry Development Program; and the Province of British Columbia through the British Columbia Arts Council for our publishing activities.
If you have any questions or comments about this website, contact the webmaster.